Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Year of My Stash

At first, it was pretty overwhelming trying out the wonderful features of Ravelry, which is THE social network for knitters and crocheters.

The very first feature I tried out was My Notebook, which lets me record my knitting projects, yarn stash and other knitting supplies, etc. It's a cool feature because the site links you to other members who have the same yarn or pattern.. well, so far that's what I know. Plus it can automatically add up the yardage of one's yarn stash, e.g. if you have 3 balls of a yarn that's 120 yards long per ball, the total of 360 yards shows up, making it easy to calculate if one has enough yarn or not.

Anyway, I felt like I was just invited to a fabulous buffet with lots to offer. I've only dipped into it, barely. I've been so busy with my non-knitting but equally essential parts of my life, so haven't had time to go deeper into Ravelry, although today I signed up for two groups.

My Ravelry membership came at the right time for me, since it will help me with my own Year of the Stash aims.

All I want this year is to use up my current yarn stash by knitting more hats, scarves and squares. Well, maybe some hand towels too... I also owe someone special a blanket :-)

I won't add to my yarn stash unless I use up around 30%, and only when I know there's someone coming in from the US to bring the stuff to me. Besides, I have enough yarn to keep me busy for about two to three years. I could probably wait until 2009, when my siblings come over from the US for my mom's 80th birthday.

Aside from using up my stash, I'd also like to organize them and store them properly.

No comments: